In 2016, I’m joining Andy Kriebel on Makeover Mondays. Each Monday, we’ll take a viz, or some data, and create a new perspective. You can join in by checking Andy’s blog. Click here to find the latest data.
This week Andy chose baseball data and some of those wacky statistics which mean nothing to a British person. WAR? Surplus Value? Fortunately, FiveThirtyEight’s story was very clear: some players perform wayyyy beyond their salary.
I have to admit I struggled with this. What’s the most important thing to show? Is it just salary? Or value? Or surplus value? In the end, I felt that all 3 need to be shown, but finding a good way to show it was difficult. I’m not even sure I succeeded. I wanted the salary bar to stand out, and tried all manner or Gantts/dual axes/stacked bar combinations. Only the one above came close to emphasising total value and surplus value.
What I like about my makeover:
- Salary is labelled
- Total value is labelled
- Surplus value is implied but not labelled
- Annotated mark to help comprehension
- Sorted bar charts allow you to put the title in the white space, freeing up space for the marks themselves
- I enjoyed combining Gantts and Bars on dual axes to make the marks this way
- Custom sorting with parameters on the interactive version
What I don’t like:
- I’m just not sure how understandable it is!
- Formatting is pretty plain. I ran out of time!
- I wonder if a simple bar of surplus value would have been enough?
Here are some of the prototypes I tried: